Crowd funding movie always say "this is the only chance for you to support our movie." Yet there are countless "only chances". Project Gooseberry is the rare chance to make a big statement and may change movie production forever. It has never been done before.
Teaser Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfezG5M2ICg
Chairman and producer Ton Roosendaal of the Blender Foundation later said: 'Though we're obviously extremely happy to have already reached so many people, we need many more to take part as animation is one of the most expensive art forms in existence. We've definitely set a difficult target for ourselves. Gooseberry is about challenging a whole bunch of production and film related cant-do's, especially exploring 100% open production, keeping ownership entirely in the hands of the makers and releasing the whole film under Creative Commons. The message is definitely not simple - that's why we still struggle getting connected to 1000s more potential supporters.'
Ton Roosendaal explaining the project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CAAY-unN4
Summarizing the production:
- Subscription based crowd-funding: crowd-funding has degraded to a product presale platform, we have an alternative.
- Open Production: the audience will get in direct contact with the makers
- Occupy Hollywood: the makers are back in control and own the film - and will benefit from the profits
- Creative Commons bizz: release and share everything, yet find a way to make a living with it
- Open Source is In-house Software: make software as a way of working together, don't copy the commercial product life cycle model
Project Gooseberry is all of that, and more - it's also going to be a totally amazing high quality theater-ready feature animation movie!
What some of the famous supporters say about Project Gooseberry.
Cory Doctorow - BoingBoing
"Unsurpassed open filmmaking"
Michael Harrison - Redhat, opensource.com
"This could prove to be incredibly important and historic"
Jimmy Wales - Wikipedia
Ton Roosendaal's latest tweet:
"Gooseberry Bitcoin wallet:
Just for (anonymous) donations now."
The artists of Project Gooseberry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROMULAPLyg
At time of writing, 3 days left in the funding campaign. With 2680+ supporters, and an approximate total of USD 682 000 of fund at the end of the 18 months.
"If we reach 3000 supporters by Saturday, we extend campaign to 60 days total (= add 18 days)."
To support this rare cause, you can make bitcoin donations or using traditional payment method. Here are few interesting perks if you support Project Gooseberry:
- Movie Credit.
- Cloud access to production files, Blender Foundation's Blender Training Courses, possibility of production involvement.
- Discount for early access download & physical hardcopy of the finished film.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze sponsors will get special section in film credit roll and listed on website sponsor section.
Let's make history, decentralize movie production, open content, creative common data, disrupt traditional movie making business models.
Campaign Website: https://cloud.blender.org/gooseberry/
Project Website: http://gooseberry.blender.org/
Blender website: http://www.blender.org/
Further reading, Ton Roosendaal also did an AMA on Reddit few days ago.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/22uu5z/i_am_ton_roosendaal_chairman_blender_foundation/