Powering an estimated 5-10% of all Bitcoin transactions, Electrum is one of the leaders of the Bitcoin wallet space. The open-source walled was started in 2011 and played a key role in the development of the light-weight SPV wallets. Developer Thomas Voegtlin joined us for a discussion of Electrum, their recent 2.0 release and the rapidly evolving Bitcoin wallet space in general.
Topics covered included:
- The evolution of Bitcoin wallets and what motivated him to start Electrum
- Electrum 2.0 and its new features such as Multi-sig and hardware wallet support
- The security tradeoffs between using an SPV wallet versus a full node client
- How Bitcoin aliases could do away with Bitcoin addresses
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Electrum Github Repo
- On the Privacy Provisions of Bloom Filters in Lightweight Bitcoin Clients
- BIP 39
- BIP 37
- Versum MIT paper
Epicenter Bitcoin is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain & Sébastien Couture.